Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Selflessness

So my hubby and I have decided on a fundraiser to help us with the cost of the adoption and travel to go pick up Mr. Hyeon-wu.  We are going to raffle off an iPad!  And some other smaller prizes.  Blake worked his magic on Craigslist and sold some things around the house (computer monitor, our Wii, and some computer speakers) and we were able to gather enough money to purchace an iPad.  We're excited about it but more about the raffle later.  Stay tuned.  Well, today Blake was driving through a city where an old buddy of ours from college is living and working.  Blake has lunch with him when he's down that way but really we don't see or talk to him and his wife very often, at all.  They were visiting today and Blake's buddy, Bruce, asked about the adoption.  Blake told him things were going good, got an important approval today, playing the waiting game, yadda yadda yadda.  Then Blake told him about the raffle and how we were hoping to raise a little money to help us bring home Griffin.  Bruce reaches into his wallet and hands Blake a $100 bill.  Ok, I'm tearing up again as I write this.  This is a guy who isn't wealthy and has struggled with his career.  His wife does well but $100 was VERY generous.

How do I wrap my brain around the generosity that this adoption is showing me?  From people I don't even know (sweet Peruvian lady at the fingerprinting place) to old friends like Bruce.  Blake and I have a hard time asking for help.  We have been through the ringer financially.  After our very expensive infertility treatments I was let go from my job in 2008 when I was 15 weeks pregnant.  Then in May of this year we had a failed IVF and you don't get your money back when those things don't work.  Not one penny.  Now we have this adoption (thank goodness for banks that will give loans in this economy) and after much prayer we're asking for help and it's really difficult for us.  I'm pretty sure I'm going to sob through this entire raffle...the entire month (or whatever) we're selling tickets. 

I don't know what I'm trying to say.  I guess I'm just so blessed to have old friends, new friends, family, and strangers like Bruce in my life.  I pray that he is blessed ten fold.

2 comments:

  1. Wow. I am so happy for you & Blake. You deserve every blessing coming your way! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome story of generosity! I love to hear about that! It gives me hope in this cruel and selfish world. You truly are a blessing April, and I am praying for us all to have our "true blessings" in our lives very soon! :)

    ReplyDelete