Saturday, March 19, 2011

New Lens {Imma wanna be}

I LOVE photography!  I don't want to be a photographer.  I just want to take beautiful, quality photos of our every day life.  And I really admire people who take amazing pictures and just do it for fun and not for a living, because it ain't easy I'll tell ya.  Cameras are complicated!  I have a Canon Rebel XTi and have always used the lens that came with it, or 'kit lens.'  I learned that term from my new photography friend.  Ok, I don't think she thinks we're friends, but I love her photography so I emailed her a few questions.  And she emailed me right back with lots of helpful info.  And that makes her my friend!  And awesome!  You can check out her blog here.  Anyway, my new friend recommended I purchase a new lens, so I did.  I found a great deal on Amazon (love me some Amazon) and it came in the mail yesterday.  I took some advice from my new photography friend, did some reading in my camera instruction manual, and tried it out.  There was LOTS of trial and error, but I think that's what helps me the most.  Having to figure out on my own what each of the settings do to enhance or ruin a picture.  Lighting is the kicker.  My flash usually ruins a picture so I am learning how to adjust the settings on my camera to get the right amount of light  for an indoor or outdoor picture.  Not easy!  So, here are some of my victories and failures.  And some I just couldn't bare to delete.  By the way, my subject is a total natural.

Just ok but trying to work with light from a window.


I know this one is blurry but oh my...she melts my heart.


Ok.  Blurry again but that face...

I kinda like this one.  The right side of her face is a little blurry, though.
And the chocolate on her face was from her daddy's chocolate shake.


This one isn't great, but I can see the difference in the two lenses here.


Maybe a little dark?


I think I like this one?  Not sure.


I think I got my settings right on this one.


A little dark again...


Not quite as sharp as I would like.


I like this one.


This isn't a great pic but look at those lashes!

So, now I need all my photography friends to tell me what I did wrong.  Seriously, I REALLY want to hear it.  I want and, obviously, need the advice.  Please, please, please help!

2 comments:

  1. I am not a professional...but I think these are great! I love the tricycle/firehydrant!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can I be a photographer friend too?

    :)

    What IS the new lens? That might help with some constructive criticism?
    With the pic that you said the right half is blurry- it's Aperture that you want to adjust. Also, learning how to work with photoshop will help correct a few things you don't like when you process your work. The key however, is to take great pictures from the get-go instead of photoshopping so-so pics. (And that's exactly what you're doing- working on your photo skills before editing skills.)
    Natural light is a MUST with kiddos, so working with light from a window is a great way to practice. However a toddler isn't always a willing subject, so kudos to you for getting that many great shots of her!! :)

    ReplyDelete