Thursday, September 23, 2010

Not Bad for a First Timer

Yesterday was a great day!  We took Kinley to the Oklahoma State Fair for her first fair experience.  The fair is always fun.  Good food, good fun, and lots of crazy things to see.  Including some of the people.  That's a whole other subject.  Anyway, Kinley had a blast!  She rode a pony for the first and second time and she thought that was great.  Lots of big smiles.  There was also a petting zoo that was a lot of fun.  Kinley enjoyed it, although anything new like that she takes very seriously.  She was staring at the animals so intently it looked like she was trying to communicate with each of them via her mind.  Or maybe she just thought they stunk really bad, which they did.  Anyway, the fair was great and we laughed a lot and really, that's all that matters.

So I said earlier in the week that for Chuseok I was going to make bulgogi for dinner Wednesday night. And I did! And it was great! Super easy and yummy. Here is the recipe that I used and some of my very amateur photos I took as I went along.


The ingredients (minus the beef).
 

2 lbs of thinly sliced (across the grain) rib-eye steak
3/4 cup of soy sauce (I use low sodium)
3 tbs of white sugar
1 tbs of sesame oil
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 of a small onion, sliced into moon shaped slivers
2 green onions, finely chopped
2 tbs of toasted sesame seeds
1/4 tsp of red pepper flakes
2 pinches of black pepper

Whisk all ingredients together in a medium bowl except for beef. 

 

When most of the sugar has dissolved, add beef and massage the marinade into the beef with your hands.


Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight.
To pan fry (some people put it on the grill), place a few slices of beef in single layers in a hot, greased pan and fry each side to your liking.  Some people prefer to cook the bulgogi until some of the edges have turned dark brown and crispy (I think I'll try it this way next time).


Serve over a bed of hot rice.

Now, this is where it gets exciting because I bought a rice cooker!  Yay!  I love brown rice but sadly I suck at preparing it.  It always turned out too tough and chewy.  It's probably because I always bought the lazy person's minute rice but I have no doubt that some of the problem is me.  Anyway, I love my rice cooker and the brown rice turned out PERFECT!

Thank you Target!  You always come through for me.


And the finished product.


The bulgogi really was delicious and I can't wait to make it again.  It even got the hubby's stamp of approval.


I'm pretty sure he would have smiled no matter what.  Love that man!

2 comments:

  1. Looks extremely yummy! I might borrow your recipe! Hopefully I can find all the ingredients at the local Kroger! Happy Chuseok!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks DELICIOUS! :) I finally figured out how to comment your posts. :)

    ReplyDelete