Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Pretty Perfect Christmas!

WARNING!!!  Long, picture-filled post ahead!

Christmas really did feel pretty perfect this year.  Not only was Griffin home with us this year, but both kiddos are old enough to really get into all the fun Christmas traditions we started.  Elf on the Shelf was fun this year.  Both kids knew to look for him every day and Kinley knew that he was watching and reporting back to Santa.  There were several times she was refusing to finish her dinner and Kip (our elf) worked his magic and Kinley would finish those last few bites.  We also did a little Santa's beard advent calendar that the kids really loved.  There were 25 spots under Santa's chin and each day we filled one spot with a cotton ball.  Actually, about every third day we were glue three on but whatever.  The kids really enjoyed it!



The kids loved our Christmas tree, but we did have a couple "accidents".  Broken glass bulbs and tiny bare feet are not a good combo, so while I cleaned up the mess they had to sit and watch.


Christmas eve was a lot of fun.  We stayed home and watched a couple Christmas cartoons, talked about how Santa was coming that night, and did some fun activities.

First, we wanted to celebrate the real reason for the season, so we baked some birthday cupcakes for baby Jesus.  Both kids love to help me in the kitchen!  Mostly, I'm just keeping hands out of the cupcake batter, that's what it's all about, right?!


While we were waiting for the cupcakes to cool we mixed up our reindeer food which consisted of oats and red sprinkles.  Glitter makes the food extra magical but I didn't have any at the time.





After we had the reindeer food prepared, we headed outside to sprinkle it on our lawn.  And this is where my camera battery died, so I only have a few, really bad pictures.  Here's one I'll share.


The kids really loved this and had so much fun!  We sang Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer and had fun throwing reindeer food up in the air.  Great family memory!

When our little plastics bags were empty it was CUPCAKE TIME!!!  Anything Kinley really wants to do she turns into an event.  CANDY TIME!!!  MOVIE TIME!!!  PAINT TIME!!!  She thinks her excitement will convince me that she's right, and it usually does.  Anyway, no pics of cupcake time because my battery was still charging.

We finished the night with a new favorite movie, The Polar Express.  As we were getting ready for bed Kinley kept reaching into the pocket of her Christmas pajamas and telling me her bell was gone.  So sweet.

Kids went to bed late which meant Santa got a late start staging Christmas.  I brought everything down from our spare room and filled the stockings while Blake put together Griffin's train table. 



So fun!

The next morning was nothing but excitement and drama!  The kids were totally overwhelmed by everything, especially the train table.  They didn't even want to open any gifts because the train table was so fun!  After we got everything opened the kids mostly fought over each other's toys.  Christmas morning was actually kind of stressful.  My parents, brother, and his fiance were coming for lunch so I had to get the ham in the oven and prepare some of the sides.  I had already prepared a dessert the night before so most of the work was done.  But between the kids arguing and the deviled eggs I finally had to just go lay down on the couch.  I was kind of Christmased out!

Things settled down and the rest of the day was wonderful.  The kids ate lots of candy, didn't take a nap, and were both in bed by 6:45 pm.  Yes!  That was perfect because I was TIRED.

Pics of the madness.....

















We ended the night with glow sticks in the bath tub!  Lots of fun, and a great ending to a Pretty Perfect Christmas!







2 comments:

  1. Love it! What a perfect Christmas indeed!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you, I was totally Christmased out! Love the post though!! What an awesome Christmas! I haven't even had time to post my own Christmas blog! ;)

    ReplyDelete